So what are the pieces of this puzzle? What has to be in place, for it to work?
- A readily available "workforce". Prison populations must remain high, stable, and must be comprised of people who are capable of performing the jobs offered.
- Legislation designed to incarcerate and keep more, and more nonviolent, offenders has been proliferating for years and is now on the table in many states. This includes immigration laws - it is no coincidence that we are trending toward a system that will focus less on keeping illegals out than on keeping them here, in prisons. We won't send them home - we will "hire" them.
- Capacity to house and care for this rising population.
- CCA, Wackenhut, Cornell (http://www.correctionsproject.com/corrections/pris_priv.htm) - all in the business of privatizing prisons for profit. Many corporate interests are also investing in prison privatization - GE, Allstate, Merrill Lynch, American Express (http://brokenchains.us/TPLU/commentary/prison-labor.html)
- Peripheral services - health care, commissary, etc. - (http://www.engaged-zen.org/articles/Kobutsu-Investing_in_Slavery.html)
- Corporations willing to exploit these populations
- Corporations? Exploit? d'ya think?
- In addition to the above, Kmart, JCPenney, McDonald's, Eddie Bauer, even Honda for a time (you will have no problem finding more - just Google "prison manufacturing", "prison labor", etc.)
- Some facility or organization that can bring all of these together and make 'em work.
- ALEC - the American Legislative Exchange Council - includes in its membership rolls "all of the above". I challenge you to find one company that is profiting from this, one company that will profit from this, that is NOT an ALEC member. One piece of supporting legislation that is not endorsed by and likely crafted by ALEC members. One lawmaker who's introducing this agenda on a state or national level who has not been indoctrinated by ALEC.
Big dollars are being spent to keep us believin'. To put a spin on this that many Americans are willing to buy.
To keep us focused on ANYTHING but the real problem, anything at all.
I want to believe that there is still hope, that our citizens are intelligent enough to figure out what's going on and not so beaten down that they won't rise up and fight, but I confess to having my doubts. Prove me wrong - PLEASE.